Blog Post #4: Can a Truck Make You More Handsome?
June 03, 2015Ok, so I won't lie; this commercial made me laugh.
According to the children, the truck guy looks more "Ba-bam!" According to the rich housewives, the car guy is the guy who your "mom wants you to marry", while the truck guy is "the one you'll ditch him for and runaway with". The reactions were pretty funny, getting a good laugh out of me.
Ok, but, on personal level, I don't really care that much about cars; as long as it gets me to the location I'm good. But I guess 'young single women' seem to have a different view... Apparently this truck guy is 'sexier'. How? I don't know! I think that its the fact that the car guy was standing next to your basic average car. I'm pretty sure if that car guy was standing next to a Lamborghini, Maserati, or Ferrari, the truck man would've been in the dust! Which brings us exactly to what this post is about; how can a truck/car make you a better person? Ok, fine; it would be kind of cool if a guy owned a Lamborghini, but it doesn't necessarily mean hes more dependable or handsome.
We all know that if this commercial was about women instead of men, social media would be fired up. Women seem to get more attention when it comes to stereotypes. Men, not so much. Its weird to hear this come from a girl, but hey; men have feelings too! By calling a car guy less 'rugged' than truck guys, its like calling a more lean girl less 'attractive' than a girl on the slim side. Despite making a pretty and funny convincing ad, Chevrolet has managed to make a commercial that catergorizes men based on what type of car they drive.
Burger King launched an ad in which they said basically said you're only a true man when you eat a burger. Apparently if a guy is vegan, it makes him less of a man. I find these commercials so ignorant. They are disrespectful in every single way. I am not surprised that many people oppose these commercials because they are stereotypical commercials, including myself. But what about you?
Have your say in the comments!

Commercials like these kinda make the world work backwards. We're always fighting for gay people to be more accepted in everyday life and to break gender roles, but so many commercials have only 30 seconds or less to sell their product that the end up making commercials that reinforce stereotypes. Even Old Spice does it with their commercials. I actually think it became more and more popular for ads to compare people with their product to people without their product, claiming people with their product are "real men" since the Old spice commercial was a big hit. Hopefully the next big hit in commercials is one that doesn't reinforce stereotypes and makes someone feel sad.
ReplyDelete